This enchanting historic hotel is a part of a unique conservation project in accordance with the commune of Santo Stefano and Gran Sasso National Park. Here you stay in beautifully restored medieval buildings with an authentic feel, and evocative rooms and a restaurant.
Each room has a very special atmosphere. They are furnished with many natural materials and evocative lighting that combined with the stone walls and floors, creates a beautiful setting. The furniture, materials and fabrics used are of the Arte Povera type chosen to compliment the surroundings. There is underfloor heating in the rooms, and the technology is hidden to preserve the form.
Read more about Sextantio Albergo Diffuso
The 30 rooms are spread throughout the town and enjoy views of the countryside or of the medieval streets. They have been respectfully restored in every way. We have awarded it 5 suns due to the quality, originality and authenticity more than for the abundance of modern amenities such as flat-screen TV, telephone, air conditioning and balconies.
The bathrooms are remarkable: here you undoubtedly have to meet some of today's demands for comfort and hygiene, but the amazing freestanding baths (in about half of the rooms), hairdryer and the hotel's own organic products contrast well with the original walls and wooden ceilings with heavy beams.
- When hunger calls, you can dine in the stylish and historic restaurant Locanda Sotto gli Archi in the middle of the town with landscape views of the Abruzzi countryside. The chef is one of the best in the region and he is absolutely uncompromising in his field: In short you will dine well here, in the glow of the open fire, and get treated like counts and barons.
- The breakfast (buffet) is available at the local wine bar Il Cantinone.
Bottega degli Infusi e Distillati:
- This cosy place is a kind of combined distillery and tea room, where you can enjoy everything from herbal tea to whiskey.
- Classic rooms are for a maximum of 2 people and has Wi-Fi and a private bathroom with a toilet and shower.
- Superior rooms are slightly larger than Classic rooms, again for 2 people and have Wi-Fi and a private bathroom with a toilet and shower and a free standing bath. All rooms have a fireplace.
- The suites are larger than superior rooms and consist of two rooms with en suite bathrooms. They are for two adults (with adults and up to two children) and have a private bathroom with a toilet and a freestanding bath. All rooms have a fireplace and several of them have balconies.
There is free parking below the town.
Please note that the location under the Gran Sasso massif means that snow is likely from October to March. Vehicles travelling in this area must by law carry snow chains and use winter tyres.
Read about the rooms at Sextantio Albergo Diffuso