The small and quiet town of Minticiano is located between Siena and the coast. It is best known for the nearby monastery of San Galgano in Chiusdino. In the adjacent former monastery, the chapter house is decorated with a cycle of monochrome frescoes (depicting the Passion) by Sienese painters and the "Virgin Enthroned with St Augustine and the Blessed Antony de'Patrizzi" by a Sienese painter influenced by Taddeo di Bartolo(1422). The town itself does have a few treasures to offer such as the late Romanesque church dedicated to St.Augustine (1291-1362), with a Baroque interior. In the 12th century, this agricultural and holiday centre had a castle belonging to the bishops of Volterra (remains of the walls still exist).
In the piazza at the entrance to the village stands the late-Romanesque "church of Sant'Agostino"(1291-1362), with a Baroque interior. Distances: Siena 35 Km - Florence 100 Km - Pisa 145 Km - Arezzo 90 Km