The saying 'to live like a lord' applies to Castello di Magona. For centuries members of Tuscany's most noble families have lived here. The castle was built as a hunting palace in the 16th century by the Medici family. It has since been used by the Tuscan grand dukes of this family as a summer residence far removed from the heat and the stench of the city.
The last grand duke of Tuscany, Leopold II, lived here for long periods in the 19th century in connection with great development projects in the water logged and malaria infested Maremma region. When the grand duchy was dissolved in 1859 and Leopold II was exiled, the castle was bought by its present owners the Merciai family.
Today the castle has been totally restored and it is a very well-proportioned example of the aristocratic building style in Tuscany in the late-Renaissance period. Fewer tourists come to southern Tuscany than to the triangular area between Florence, Siena and Pisa yet the natural beauty and opportunity for fantastic scenic experiences are by no means less here than in the better known regions of Tuscany.
Read more about Castello di Magona